Monday, March 15, 2010

Hapless-ness

It all started with bread-making. Last August I read this great post on bread-making on my friend Laura's blog, complete with pictures of this amazing sourdough boule. I decided (in retrospect impulsively) that I too would master the art of bread-making and picked up a copy of Peter Reinhart's The Breadmaker's Apprentice the following afternoon. Despite my clear lack of artisanal skills, my wife and friends were excited about my sudden interest in making delicious bread, and keen to see some finished product - some perfectly crafted boules and baguettes.

Sadly, I made my way through maybe 50 pages before the tome started to gather dust on the coffee table. July became August, and eventually summer made way for Fall and Fall for Winter -- all without bread. I was short on flour, but long on excuses. I would get to it "eventually" [1].

I didn't think much of it until a few weeks ago when I read an essay by Paul Graham about entrepreneurship. In it he argued that the main quality of an unsuccessful entrepreneur is to be "hapless". Or put differently (in his words) "to be battered by circumstances—to let the world have its way with you, instead of having your way with the world."

It was like a smack in the face. I realized that I was hapless. The world had been having its way with me like an angry drunk or a prison gang. Too much "eventually" and not enough "getting to it". Well, this blog is my way of getting around to the things on my "eventually" list.

First up -- making bread.

Notes:
[1] My friends have started a pool on how old i will be when i finally make bread. I'm 30 and I understand the over-under is at ~35.

5 comments:

  1. Rob I feel confident that you'll get to it well in advance of 35. Maybe 34. In the meantime, my oven is broken and I can't bake anything! It's tragic, I'm totally out of bread but have a bunch of dough sitting in the fridge waiting for my super to get it together and make the repair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the vote of confidence Laura, and for cutting the ribbon on the comments section of my blog. I think this makes you my number one fan (unfortunately for you). Pictures and chaos to ensue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Rob. I also started blogging this week and so I thought I'd leave a comment, just in case you're like me and hoping somebody might drop by. Especially if you're not related to them! I feel like I'm waiting for a party to start and wondering why the guests haven't arrived (Of course, you might not be as pathetic as me ...)
    Good luck with the bread. I used to make it on Saturday mornings, was great for thumping out all the frustrations of the week. Trouble was, I used to eat it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome Rob,
    I'm here from Laura's blog.
    Wishing you lots of fun here on your blog and in your kitchen. Hope you'll be posting some recipes and recommends on the breads. I'm into gluten free at the moment. Those recipes (good ones anyway) are hard to come by. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the kind comments all.

    Mary - Welcome - look forward to reading your blog as well.

    Maggie - No vegan recipes just yet as I'm just settling into my new hobby / obsession with artisanal baking. I'll share any that I come across though. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete